Manzanita Writers Press!
A literary support center for writers and artists.
Manzanita Writers Press is a literary publisher and nonprofit arts organization located at Manzanita Arts Emporium, a creative community center in historic downtown Angels Camp. We bring writers, readers and artists together through workshops, anthologies, book publishing, classes, lectures, and events in the Mother Lode region of California. Our location in the scenic, rural Sierra Nevada foothills of Calaveras County is inspirational to the many writers who reside here and in the surrounding rural counties.
Manzanita Writers Press has published 15 books, with several more in the works for 2017-18. We host author readings, workshops, events, publish books, and promote the literary and visual arts in Calaveras, Amador, and Tuolumne counties. Manzanita publishes works by regional writers and those with a connection to the Mother Lode and Sierra, but we are not limited in that scope. MWP also prints Manzanita: Poetry and Prose of the Mother Lode and Sierra, a series of literary community anthologies that represent writers across the nation writing about this region. Our latest anthology, Out of the Fire, reflects poignant and inspirational writing and photography based on the 2015 Butte Fire, the 7th most destructive fire in California history.
Special thanks to our newest major sponsor of the Manzanita Arts Emporium and Manzanita Writers Press for their dedication to the arts in Angels Camp and Calaveras County:
Angels Camp, California
Manzanita Writers Press nurtures and sustains the literary and arts community of Calaveras County and the foothill region of the Mother Lode and Sierra.
The Manzanita Writers Press at its Manzanita Arts Emporium location in Historic Downtown Angels Camp, CA, a Creative Community Arts Center, offers a dynamic community center for arts, education, literature, benefiting the rural culture of Calaveras County and local foothill region. It operates exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, including but not limited to:
- Operating a center for the arts;
- Conducting and hosting educational, cultural, artistic, literary, and research programs;
- Engaging in all activities that will further, and are consistent with, the mission of the Corporation, including, but not limited to, lectures, workshops, events, exhibits, conferences, presentations to groups, panel discussions, education, publishing projects, and public relations.
- Facilitate the Writers Unlimited critique group. Organize readings, events, and workshops. Network with writing communities across the state.
- Publish local, regional, and other area writers, whether in launching a career, or nurturing a more experienced writer.
- Assist selected project writers in procuring funding, editing and promotional services, and other needs of the publishing process.
- Train/Mentor Volunteer Editors and staff members.
- Sponsor and host Writing Workshops and Conferences in our region
- Maintain a Writers Network with organizations across the country to assist our members
- Conduct writing classes and provide educational lectures, workshops, and classes for the public
Monika Rose . . . Director, Editor-in-Chief
Joy Roberts . . . Finance Director, Editor
Suzanne Murphy . . . Public Relations Director, Editor
Stephen Archer . . . Program Director
Jennifer Hoffman . . . ebook Designer, Editor
Joyce Dedini . . . Graphic Designer, Book Layout Designer
Chrys Mollett . . . Events Director
Mary Sexton . . . Gallery Director
Now Showing in the Gallery
Manzanita Arts Emporium is filled with the works of these fine artists . . .
Shay Baker, Oil pastels, Acrylics
Ty Childress, Mountain Ranch – Photography – framed and matted prints- scenic, landscape, rural whimsy, regional and national sites, cards
Chrys Mollett/Aeolian Harp, Murphys – Piano and music lessons, ukuleles, guitars, violins, strings, music, CDs, art, and more
Patty Payne, Sheep Ranch – Equestrian and bovine framed art – large canvas/acrylic, natural frames from Mother Lode wood, prints, cards
Gary Rose, Mountain Ranch – Hard-edge Design acrylic wall sculptures
Mary Sexton, Angels Camp – Acrylic, watercolor, oils – prints and framed pieces
Also in the gallery:
Gordon Long, Photography
Selma Sattin, Copperopolis – Framed Watercolor, cards, prints
Cristi Canepa, Angels Camp – Photography on metal, prints, and more
Kevin Brady, Watercolors
Wanda Macioszek, Glencoe – Fine metalwork – trees, fish, nature scenes, and more
Paul Neal, Valley Springs – Photography – floral, scenic, Mother Lode scenes, nature’s captured moments
Robert Tomaino, San Andreas – Nature illustrations – ducks, dogs, mountain men, historic- cards
James Aarons, Mokelumne Hill – Ceramic abstract bowls
Susie Hoffman, Copperopolis – Watercolor, oil, prints, cards
Judie Cain, Murphys – Watercolor prints, cards
Cate Culver, Mountain Ranch – Abstract acrylics, landscapes, cards, matted prints
Randall Metzger, San Andreas – organic, natural scented candles
Joyce Kelly – Photography – Picturesque cards, seasonal cards, matted prints, framed prints